30 March 2023
New Study on One-way Glass in HORECA Sector
We're thrilled to announce that for the first time, we have revealed new market data on HORECA establishments across Europe and estimated the share of products packed in glass that are consumed in the HORECA channel. This study is a critical part of our roadmap to increase the amount of glass packaging that is collected and recycled in the HORECA sector.
Our findings will help us better understand the current state of glass packaging in the hospitality industry and identify areas where we can improve collection and recycling efforts. With this knowledge, we can develop more targeted solutions and initiatives to promote sustainable waste management practices in the hospitality sector. To get a better understanding of glass packaging in the hospitality sector, Close the Glass Loop commissioned Oakdene Hollins, a circular economy consultancy, to provide an analysis of a Global Data dataset on glass packaging for beverages in the hospitality sector.
To assist readers in getting key takeaways from the study and distilling essential insights from less significant details to emphasize the study’s most noteworthy discoveries, Close the Glass Loop took on the task of creating national factsheets and maps based on study findings.
Maps visually depict data to enhance the reader’s comprehension of the distribution of glass products in hospitality establishments across Europe. They facilitate the identification of countries that need to exert additional efforts in collecting glass packaging within that sector. The maps are instrumental in guiding the reader to address the following questions:
- Where do you find the most HORECA establishments in EU + UK?
- Where do you find the most HORECA establishments relative to population in EU + UK?
- Which countries have the highest consumption of beverages in one-way glass packaging in the HORECA channel (in kg/capital)?
- Which countries have the most one-way glass beverage bottles in the HORECA channel vs all glass beverage bottles placed on the market?
- Which countries have the highest share of tonnage for one-way glass beverage bottles in HORECA compared to the total glass packaging tonnage placed on the market?
The full report and a visual summary of the study are available for download below.